Sunday, April 26, 2009

Martial arts?

I trained for 5 years in Shotokan/Goku Ryu Karate. After the five years, my club closed down. About 6 months later i started Hapkido and did that for 6 months but it really wasn%26#039;t for me. Now i%26#039;ve been completely out of training for 18months. Its been hard coz i%26#039;ve gone from a national champion to nothing. And I%26#039;ve gotten really out of shape, put weight on and let me fitness go completely. Any suggested exercise diet plans to get back into shape for martial arts? Thanks.|||Well I can tell you first off a few things from experience and one is that weight is harder to keep off as you get older. Secondly, sometimes people lose their competitive desire and so they quit or retire earlier than otherwise. For you it is partly because of your club closing so the fact that you are now starting to want to go back should in itself tell you that you have not lost your desire completely.





I would start off gradually and not throw anything faster or harder than half to three fourths speed and power for the first two weeks. That way you will avoid potential injuries to start with. Secondly, I would challenge myself to get back into shape and be better than I was before and to build myself into shape. It did not take just a month to get out of shape and put that weight on and I suspect that it will take more than a month to get back into shape and get the weight off. Third, I would do some cross-training picking something non-martial arts related like swimming, biking, rollerblading to do occasionally and substitute occasionally for part of my work outs. As for diet plans there is certainly enough information out there but if you are interested in competing again try to pick one that builds and adds muscle some as opposed to just losing weight. A modified Atkins diet for instance would be my recommendation since it has so much protein. I competed for many years and learning how to deal with some of the ups and downs that come with that or some of the outside factors that can affect that are something in itself that competitors have to learn how to deal with. Good luck.|||If you want to buy martial arts clothes, equipments or weapons etc., please go to www.ShoppingEast.com,


You can also buy wonderful Kung Fu Movie DVDs and martial arts teaching videos there!


They just provide these products from China, cheap and excellent!


www.ShoppingEast.com Report Abuse
|||I actually have to agree with the poster who said to just get to class..that really is the best way.


Yes, you will need time to get back into shape. You will need to make changes to your diet, and so on, but none of it will make as much a difference as just getting back into a regular class. From there you can look at your diet, your free time (skating, stretching, etc), and so on.


Good luck!|||Yep - dead easy! Find another club, and go back to training!|||Why not get some of the people who you worked well with that used to go to your old school and start having informal workouts? Get together anywhere that is availible, and work on what you already know? Take turns running the class. If you were in it fir 5 years you at least know the basics right? This way not only will you have your workout you want but you will be activly training again. I have worked out with people in their garage, basement, living room, and one time ata rest area on a road trip. Martial Arts can be practiced anywhere you have the room, it doesn%26#039;t have to be in a school.

No comments:

Post a Comment