Monday, November 16, 2009

How do people treat you when they find out you practice martial arts?

I%26#039;ve noticed when people learn that I%26#039;m a trained fighter they tend to show me more respect. Sometimes I think they even fear me, I can see it in their eyes when I tell them about my martial arts experience.





I%26#039;ve heard stories about tough guys trying to pick fights with martial artists. That hasn%26#039;t happened to me yet, but I feel like I%26#039;m prepared to handle anyone who steps up to me.|||These days I don%26#039;t talk about my training with anyone and my reasons for that are because 1) I want people to base their perceptions of me on me as an individual, not out of fear that I might beat them up. 2) because I don%26#039;t want to discuss the arts with anyone who doesn%26#039;t have a sincere interest in the arts and 3) because it just sounds stupid and egotistical to go around saying %26quot;hey, I%26#039;m a black belt or I can break a brick%26quot;...or whatever. You sound like your in high school and from what you%26#039;ve shared it%26#039;s pretty clear you%26#039;ve never been in a real fight. It%26#039;s great that you have confidence, but if you keep bragging (and come on, let%26#039;s face it...you%26#039;re bragging), then it will only be a matter of time before someone tougher than you (trained or not) will test you and leave you with a bruised ego, a bruised body or both. I hope that doesn%26#039;t happy to you though so think less bravado, more humility.|||You are a martial artist, you do not fight someone who just what to fight. What you learn is for self development and defence. Not for kicking the crap out of someone who get in your face, I am sure you instructor would tell you the same thing.





If I tell people I do Martial Art, I don%26#039;t see increased respect or fear, I see interested or disinterest. That%26#039;s about it, also you earn respect it is not given. Also a lot of people do martial arts and do not brag about it. By saying you do Martial Art just given them a good bit of information on how to neutralise your attack if you do get into a fight.|||The only people who know I do martial arts are close friends and family, and people I work with. If you saw me walking down the street you would think that I was very unassuming.





I seem to get most peoples respect that I meet from the way I carry myself and the way that I treat them. I do not feel the need to announce my martial arts training.You will get all walks of life treating you differently each time. The thing to remember is to remain humble and always have the proper ethical behavior of a martial artist.





I really wouldn%26#039;t go around throwing out %26quot;I do karate%26quot; or the like either just to do it. I%26#039;m not saying you do, but I%26#039;m just saying that %26quot;bragging%26quot; as it can be seen as is not welcomed and generally met with disdain.|||You will get all walks of life treating you differently each time. The thing to remember is to remain humble and always have the proper ethical behavior of a martial artist.





I really wouldn%26#039;t go around throwing out %26quot;I do karate%26quot; or the like either just to do it. I%26#039;m not saying you do, but I%26#039;m just saying that %26quot;bragging%26quot; as it can be seen as is not welcomed and generally met with disdain.





If you act with a sense of self respect (NOT CONCEIT/ARROGANCE) then generally you will be respected. The adage %26quot;What they don%26#039;t know won%26#039;t hurt them.%26quot; applies here.|||Well, they respect you because they probably think you know what you%26#039;re doing. Many of my friends know i know martial arts but i still mess with them and they mess with me, because they known me that long. Maybe some do act nicer because of it but i don%26#039;t really care, i don%26#039;t care to tell people i do it, they ask and then tell others. But no matter how much i really get hurt, unless it%26#039;s an assault, i wont get mad and go chuck norris, that%26#039;s not me and that%26#039;s not what Martial Arts are meant for, it is to express your inner-self my friend.|||Martial arts Is not something that I want people to know that I practice. I like to keep information like this to myself. Too many people who have the desire to either test you, or take legal action against you, should you get into a physical confrontation.


Its mine, not theirs, nor is it any of their business.


Those who broadcast the fact that they are practitioners are either running a school or showing off.|||usually they don%26#039;t treat me any different, sometimes they may joke around about it but besides that no different. i don%26#039;t go around say i%26#039;m a black belt who thinks they can take me or anything like that, but my friends and family do know that I%26#039;m a martial artist but they don%26#039;t cringe with fear when i walk near them.|||The only people who know I do martial arts are close friends and family, and people I work with. If you saw me walking down the street you would think that I was very unassuming.





I seem to get most peoples respect that I meet from the way I carry myself and the way that I treat them. I do not feel the need to announce my martial arts training.|||I don%26#039;t think people change their view of me at all. They continue to see me as a nice guy who can get along with just about everyone. I certainly don%26#039;t think it causes them to %26quot;fear me%26quot;. I hope that the study of martial arts is seen as a noble activity.





I think people understand with me that is definitly for self defense, not intimidation.|||man its really up to you and how you present yourself... and how old you are, and the maturity level of the people you talk to.... noone trains to pick fights with random people...... so if you are respectful of other peopl, they will respect you... and adults with responcibilities, know that they need to work to take care of their families, and would not risk injury or jail to settle a petty argument... ut i dont suggest going to a bar and walking up to the iggest meanest guy, and say hey i am a fighter... that would be stupid... but if the topic comes up in a day to day conversation.. ask them to come train with you.... that%26#039;s what i do... good luck|||I get anywhere from excited interest to joking disdain.





Some people are actually interested. Many people just go %26quot;cool%26quot; and leave it at that. Some will jokingly give a %26quot;hiyaaaaa!%26quot; or something similarly goofy either joking or at an attempt to make me look foolish.





Most people I know will discuss fighting with me because I%26quot;m knowledgeable about it, however I notice that no one gives me that joking %26quot;you wanna fight%26quot; anymore.|||not very different from the way they treated me before which is a good thing. don%26#039;t want too get into a fight just because some guy wants to test my skills or all the sudden everyone is scared of me. but then again i try not to tale everyone i do martial arts unless they ask.|||Don%26#039;t ask ! Don%26#039;t tell !

No comments:

Post a Comment