Saturday, November 14, 2009

How young can you start a child in martial arts?

My boyfriend%26#039;s son is 3 and a half and he has a really amazing photographic memory and a lot of energy but some problems focusing... we are worried he might have the beginnings of ADD... I thought martial arts would be a great way to increase his focus and teach him some discipline... is he too young to start?|||My son is the same way. Check out your local martial arts studios, where I live the youngest they can start is 4 but 5 seems to be the norm.


I agree with you that martial arts is a great way to focus hyper kids rather than medication. Also, check out your local YMCA, they should have some sort of gym program that he can start in now. Our boy just turned 3 and we just started him in this %26amp; he loves it. He can run %26amp; jump and play and is learning some new things.


Good luck!!|||All 3 year olds have a problem focusing on one thing for too long.


You can try teaching him martial arts...he might only be interested for a few minutes...but as he grows...he might begin to take more notice and might even enjoy it.


No harm in trying.|||I don%26#039;t think so. I know people who have been going to martial arts since like 4 years old. Just find your local Tae Kwon Do, or Karate place and ask. I am sure that is a good idea.


Some more advice, though.


I am 17 and used to have ADHD. I think I still have slight ADD. When I was smaller, I was shunned, and it was like no one understood me. Just because I was really hyper and talked a lot, people treated me like I was a retard. And I was VERY smart. But no one cared. They just assumed I was stupid.


So if your kid has ADD, make sure you don%26#039;t do this to him. There are medicines he can take, like Ritalin or Adderall, but just make sure he knows he is just like other people. Don%26#039;t treat him like he is stupid or can%26#039;t do anything on his own.


Sorry if that offended you. I am not saying you are a bad mother or anything; I just don%26#039;t want anyone to have to go through what I did for more than half of my life.|||Martial arts is great! It teaches discipline and 3 years old isn%26#039;t too young in fact that is the right age. Go for it honey.|||Our Tae Kwon Do school offers a class for the little kiddos, like three and 4 year olds, that is aimed at their short attention spans. Try calling a local school and find out if they offer something like that, maybe? Ours is called %26quot;Little Tigers%26quot; and they are SO cute. The regular class sometimes has a 4 year old in it, most kids and are just not ready to handle the 40 minute class and the attention span it demands.|||age 3. at 2 they are still proving their independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment