Saturday, November 14, 2009

What is the best type of martial arts for a 35+ woman who is just starting?

I need to starting exercising and was considering martial arts as a fitness and self defence progarm. I am overweight and past 30 which style would be the best for me?|||I suppose it depends on what is more important to you... fitness or self defense.





I am currently taking Jiu Jitsu. It teaches %26#039;street fighting%26#039; techniques. Its not %26#039;pretty%26#039;, but from what little I know, its one of the best martial arts for self defense, and covers everything from kicks/punches, wrestling-type movies, and throws. (Some martial arts classes involves throws, etc. so you%26#039;ll have to see how comfortable you are with that.)





There are other martial arts which may be better in terms of fitness (more aerobic activity, more flexibility) but may not be as practical when it comes to self defense. (For example: I think Karate and Kung Fu emphasize kicks/punches, which becomes less useful when you%26#039;re fighting in close. And Tae Kwon Do is more of a %26#039;sport%26#039; than an actual self defence.)

No comments:

Post a Comment