Saturday, November 14, 2009

What forms of martial arts are related to gymnastics?

When I was really young, I took karate lessons, simultaneously while practicing gymnastics. I later quit the martial arts to focus soley on my gymnastics and soon became a state gymnast by the time I was in middle school. I stopped training when I was about 14 due to injury, and i%26#039;m still very fluent in power tumbling.


I%26#039;m now 19 and am looking to go back to martial arts because i feel it might be a little less intense then my past gymnastics career. I%26#039;m curious if there are any unique forms of martial arts that might also envoke my skills in gymnastics? I was thinking along the lines of something like tae kwon do, but maybe a little less aggressive and fast...


Can anyone help me out!!!?|||Many martial arts have been dressed up for demonstrations and competition. So, gymnastics can be useful there. Some of the other suggestions are good, like Capoeria and Wushu. However, the martial art which has the most direct correlation to gymnastics forms and action is Ninjutsu. Ninjutsu utilizes these types of movements classically, and not just for show. Today ninjutsu is very available in the school headed by Massaki Hatsumi out of Japan. Affliated organizations %26amp; dojo are worldwide. Just google %26quot;bujinkan%26quot;, %26quot;togakure ryu ninjutsu%26quot;, or go to www.ninjutsu.com


But reconsider studying martial arts if you think it will be less intense. I suppose it really depends on what you want from martial arts, but one of the basic pillars is the study of the self in life %26amp; death. From this perspective things can get very intense.|||TKD or Hapkido for some fancy kicks, or Kenpo for solid forms and hand speed. Look up some top %26quot;tricking%26quot; teams at club540.com or team loopkicks. West Coast TKD has an awesome demo team that has trained some great champions. In North Carolina there is White Tiger Martial Arts, which is run by former members of the Korean Tigers international demo team. Also, in Canada you have Team Ryouko (I think I spelled that right.)





Good luck! Karate and Gymnastics makes for an awesome forms combination.|||wushu and capoeira.|||If I were you I%26#039;d try to find a wushu demo team.|||Definitely wushu or capoeira|||You might look into Capoeira|||wushu its the the athletic competition and performance style of kung fu. its basically violent gymnastics|||Taekwondo would most likely injure you again since it is very intense with training and sparring. and it%26#039;s not all the jump flying twirling kicks you think that%26#039;s all for show you need to see all the discipline on the traditional side. anyway you should try Karate again sine some(actually most) karate tournaments have what I call faker forms with basicly all gymnastics and sparring isn%26#039;t as rough as taekwondo and karate sparring is all smack! talk before and after the fight I don%26#039;t think you want tom put yourself through that so go with karate.|||I took Capoeira and it was VERY fun and used a great deal of my gymnastics ability.... try it you might love it!|||srry but korean tae kwon do is the best


they teach u backflips front


climbing walls front hand spring


ect|||I have been in martial arts for over twenty years and can not think of one form or style base in gymnastics. But good news with your gymnastics background you sould have incredible balance and agility. Your should learn forms and combination in no time. Timing is going to be your only problem. I personally would stay away from Tae Kwon Do. I would suggest Kosho Ryu if there are any dojo in your area. If you don%26#039;t care for the style or instructor I would try Judo or Jujitsu. Aikido is very good but you may find Aikido lacking in physical workout. Again schools really depends on the instructor. So go to a few schools see what you like and go from there.|||Any style of MA that is circular will benifit greatly from gymastics. you have judo and some of the shoalin styles, aikido. you could do linar styles like karate, tkd and incoperate it in there.





But then there is capoera ( i think my spelling is right) where people often think of them as dancers. your gymnastics past will help you alot if you follow this path|||Capoeira


Tae Kwon Do- Horrrilbe for self- defence


Aikido- the ukemi

No comments:

Post a Comment