Monday, May 17, 2010

Am I to old to learn the art of Japanese sword fighting with no prior experience? martial arts?

I am 16. I wanted to do a martial arts class/swordsmen ship ever since I was younger but never had an opportunity. (In all honesty I still don%26#039;t besides YMCA.) but I am still looking. All answers/recommendations appreciated.|||Hi there





As far as i know outside of Japan there are only two arts that only focus on the sword alone and they are kendo and iaido (mainly muso jikiden eishin ryu in the west). Quite a few other arts have sword as part of their cirriculum but you have to learn the unarmed side of things first before moving onto weapons Aikido and Bujinkan to name a few. There is also okinawan kobudo jutsu that teaches weapons alone. google is your friend use it to search for clubs where you live.





As for your age well youre still a spring chicken! ;-)


its a myth about starting out at the age of 3! This was the case in feudel japan but not in modern times. most 4 year olds find it difficult telling the difference between their left and right nevermind weilding a sword around?





Best wishes





idai|||It might seem young man that it is not a matter of your age that is stopping you but an issue of self regard. At this stage of your life - instead of being concerned with questions of old or young, you might regard the more relevant issue of locating a reputable School and Teacher. Having done that, you then enquire as to the schedule of classes and fees and to the requirements of enrollment.





It might be that the Sensei has special or specific prerequisites for the new student and if this is the case then given that you have declared that you have always wanted to do this, you will approach those tasks which need to be addressed with enthusiasm and conviction in order for you to join.





All the best with your future in the martial arts. Never give up - never give in.|||I%26#039;m sorry, I still find it humorous when teenagers ask if they%26#039;re too old.





No, you are far from too old. You could be 40, 50, or older and still not be too old. Everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up.





Finding a school that teaches actual sword fighting (not Kendo, the quasi-sword-fighting sport) isn%26#039;t going to be easy. Check on the web. Look for Kenjutsu, Iaido, Iaijutsu. Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu will also teach some swordwork, and occasionally so will some Aikido, Jujitsu and Karate schools.|||Absolutely not. Hell, I thought this question would be from a 60 year old instead of a teen, and my answer would remain the same.





You don%26#039;t have to start at 5 or anything to be good. My instructor didn%26#039;t start taking martial arts until he was in his 40s, and he does pretty well for himself.|||I%26#039;m sorry, first I want to ask is any one else getting tired of these questions.





There is only one regular contributor here that will tell you that you are too young or old to study martial arts.





you are never to old even if you wait this long http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO2kfgnoz...|||You are never too young to study martial arts. I%26#039;m 25 and I want to learn kendo as well. I%26#039;ve studied Brazilian jiu jitsu so far and I may start judo eventually. |||Not really, 16 is a great age to start at.

No comments:

Post a Comment