Saturday, May 15, 2010

What style of martial arts would be best for me?

I have always wanted to train in the martial arts but until now never had time. Now I%26#039;d like to pursue it but don%26#039;t know which style is best for me.





First I should state that I%26#039;m starting this at an advanced age (in my mid 40s) so I have realistic expectations. I know I%26#039;m not going to be the next Bruce Lee or fight in tournaments or anything. I would just like to get some excercise while simultaneously working off some steam and learning some basic self defense.





That said, I%26#039;m a pretty big guy, 5%26#039;10%26quot;, 225, stocky, not fat. I lift on regular basis so I have decent strength but at my age and size I%26#039;m guessing I%26#039;d want to stay away from any style that uses a lot of high kicks and requires a ton of speed and athleticism.





Any suggestions? Thanks.|||it doesn;t matter what age or body type you are, any TRUE martial art should be just fine for you or anyone. What kind of stuff are you interested in learning? throwing? grappling?


there are many martial arts out there to pick from I can%26#039;t answer your question because I don;t know exactly what your interest is but if you tell me I would be more than happy to help you find the right one for you, I%26#039;ve been studding martial arts for over 18 years now and I am an instructor. let me know what things are the ones that interest you more in the martial arts and I will let you know which ones you might like the best then you can go from there.


GOOD LUCK !


navamartialarts@yahoo.com|||try a few different ones and stick with one or two you feel are good for you.dont avoid one because it has high kicks the just talk to the teacher and he will understand.try it if you dont like it do another.the main things to take into consideration are cost and availability.anyway here is a bit of info that may help.


A good well rounded style would be freestyle Karate.You will learn stand up,ground,grappling and weapons.What a lot of people don%26#039;t understand is that freestyle Karate is about practical street defence not who can kick the highest or punch a pad the hardest.It%26#039;s definitely not a sport martial art like TKD or BJJ.The motto of my style is the best of everything in progression.Basically that means we don%26#039;t care where the technique comes from we improve it and integrate it into our style while still maintaining tradition as do most freestyle Karate%26#039;s.


The hardest thing is finding a good experienced instructor.I would recommend Bushi Kai or Zen Do Kai, but if your not in Australia or New Zealand you may have some difficulty finding some one who teaches these styles.These styles also usually have separate classes available to everyone in Muay Thai and BJJ/Submission/Shoot wrestling.If you can%26#039;t find one of these i would suggest Kempo or Enshin or another freestyle Karate.


http://www.zendokai.com.au/countries2/US...|||From my experience, most people in their 40%26#039;s prefer Aikido or Tai Chi. With your build, you may also enjoy Hapkido. I think you will be surprised at what a workout Tai Chi will give you. Hapkido uses kicks, but not the high flying kicks of Tae Kwon Do.





Good luck.|||At your age I reccomend a striking rather than grappling style. I started Tae Kwon Do at 44. In your 40%26#039;s, if you are not already good at falling, it hurts %26amp; takes a long time to heal. Don%26#039;t worry about high kicks, I can%26#039;t kick all that high %26amp; I%26#039;m a 3rd degree black belt. If you choose TKD, pick a traditional rather than sport oriented school.|||I would suggest kajukenbo or kenpo karate.|||Kajukenbo. Look it up. I%26#039;m 6%26#039;1 270 lbs. and 42 yrs. It works for Me and all My Big Boy friends.|||tai kwon do|||Well there is really no best style. My advice is free so take it for what its worth.


Be really practical, check out the schools that are close by no more that 15 or 20 min. from your house. You should take some time and research different styles. Your concerns about age not withstanding (A good friend of mine started at 45 and got his black belt at 50) High kicks are an issue if flexibility is a problem, but another friend in his 40鈥檚 loves his Tae Kwon Do he doesn鈥檛 kick high but he kicks very well.


Ask your self, do I want a very traditional environment or something more laid back and American?


Finally visit the schools in your area see if the group of students is one you you鈥檇 like to spend time with. Are there groups of students with different ranks? Are there persons your age? Finally take a couple of classes and get a feel for the training.


Also don鈥檛 forget to look at the local parks and YMCA鈥檚 some of the best instructors are not doing it for money and may offer amazing programs at great value.


You state you have always wanted to train鈥︹€?Well ? What鈥檚 keeping you ?


Good luck on your journey.|||i agree with the first person that answers ur question...i think aikido is the best for u.....cause aikido doesnt force ur power to do the jutsu....|||www.krackedskullz.com

No comments:

Post a Comment