Monday, May 17, 2010

Can anyone give information on black belt grading in martial arts?

I did martial arts for almost ten years but have not been training for the past five years. I started my own club now but I do not know how many years you need to train to get 1st dan and from there on up to all the rest of the black belt dans. I also see some stiles stop at 5th dan but others pass to 8th dan. Can some of you clear this for me up? I want comments from all styles of martial arts.|||In Kajukenbo, original method the belts go like this


white


white/purple


purple


green


blue


brown


black 1st dan


after 1st black the rankings go up to up to 9th.





To achieve 1st black it may take between 6 and 10 years, depending upon the student. Then 2 to 4 years for every belt there after. In kajukenbo you truly earn your belt.





Is it my understanding that you are starting your own style? Or are you just curious about rank structure?|||It varies greatly from style to style, school to school, teacher to teacher. Its hard to even venture a guess without knowing more about the school or style your interested in.|||It depends on the Art and the Person. I personally believe that there should never be a set amount of time to make Blackbelt or any higher grade after that. Also if you haven%26#039;t been training for 5 years in Martial arts and you were only a 1st Dan I wouldn%26#039;t rank you as a Blackbelt anymore. A Blackbelt rank is not an everlasting thing. You have to stay active to keep it.|||Every system that awards belts has different criteria.





As far as the Judo in my experience, black belts are only awarded to students who were becoming teachers. The wife of my original teacher had a brown belt for 20 years. I like the 18 year old minimum age limit too.





At our schools its up to the instructors except for my 8 belt maximum rule. My Karate experience was very similar in that there were only 8 belt levels. I would lower it to the original 5 if business would allow. But, people love the recognition.





IMHO, the days of belt schools are coming to an end, as more and more people become interested in MMA and what actually works. I welcome the change in more of a %26quot;show me what you can do, don%26#039;t tell me what you have done%26quot;.





Traditionalist are not accepting this easily, and I understand. Change is part of the cycle of nature.





I don%26#039;t quite understand how you can start a club when you haven%26#039;t trained in 5 years but that%26#039;s your business.

No comments:

Post a Comment