Monday, May 17, 2010

Have you trained in martial arts but lost a fight on the street?

Did you ever train martial arts but could not win in a street fight or in a school fight?|||Ive trained for several years but haven%26#039;t been in a streetfight since before I started training. (I%26#039;d have to say everyone involved lost those including me). I have seen several martial artists get beaten up badly in street fights though. One was a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, one brown belt in Hapkido, and one was a very good high school wrestler(I consider that to be as much a martial art as anything) and college football player. I don%26#039;t know for sure, but I don%26#039;t think they were beat up by people that had trained in anything. Like most street fights there really wasn%26#039;t much technique involved just a few seconds of pure nastiness.The Tae Kwon Do was a very good sparrer, but got jumped while walking next to an alley. The Hapkido guy took a cheap shot and feel down. He then was stomped by two guys while on the ground. The wrestler got hit in the head with a beer bottle, got knocked out and had his ear most of the way ripped off.





Sorry to be so graphic. Im just trying to emphasize that you%26#039;re much better off avoiding confrontations even if you think you%26#039;re prepared.|||man this is how it works matrial arts is way different from street fights in street fights u can get murdered u can do anything.... dont worry if u lose keep on fighting back losing only makes u better belive me lose is gained later on Report Abuse
|||Just cause you trained in Martial Arts dont mean that you are good. Some people think just cause you train in a discipline makes you good. One of the best places to learn to fight from is the streets. Look at Tank Abbott, Kimbo Slice(I think thats his name) and Rocky Marciano. Also, a street fight is way different from a sanctioned fight. In a street fight there are no referees to tell you to not use a hammer on your opponent.|||plenty of martial artists have lost in street fights. Especially the ones who don%26#039;t spar regularly. Their techniques aren%26#039;t ingrained, and when the fight goes down, it leaves them.





Also the ones who train unrealistically and have weird expectations. Like, they expect one hit to the solar plexus or groin to end it, then they%26#039;re simply stunned when it doesn%26#039;t.





Then there are those who aren%26#039;t very well rounded. Sometimes the fight goes to a place they weren%26#039;t ready for (for instance, into the clinch or ground) and the martial artist was smaller and weaker, so he failed.





Not a very uncommon occurence.|||I have never lost in a fight while taking martial arts. But I have got into a few that came close to me loosing. But if you really want to know the answer to this question if you have to fight then you have already lost the battle with in your self|||If you are trained right, you do not get yourself into a situation as far as a street fight, the same goes with school fights. I walked away from more fights after correct


training. Just because you have the training doesn%26#039;t mean you will when all the time, its just the odds of being beat go down.|||No, because if the martial arts taught me one thing, it was how to avoid getting into useless fights. I consider myself lucky.|||yep, but I lost on purpose. I purposely let the guy hit me because it was a weak punch and I knew it would not hurt. Some say I was stupid, but i did not end up with any broken bones or painful cuts and the guy is in prison for 8 years.





8 years for a weak sucker punch that did not even leave but a small red mark on my upper lip? I say I won out on that one!





Btw, I was healed up the next day!|||Yeah back when I trained in a TKD , I got my *** kicked in high school , but senior year I enrolled for Gracie Jiu jitsu and Muay Thai not that many people **** with me now.|||erm id say if youve been practacing the art for that long that you shouldnt think about it in a fight you should just act like a reaction so in a street fight depending on your ability you shouldnt lose if...youve studyed the art long enougth to make it a way of life...even if youve been out drinking and you get in a fight you should still be able to win.|||Street fights I would probably lose at, school fights I always won - it was pathetic with school fights - at the very end of the final school fight, I literally held my opponent up against a tree 2 feet off the ground with one hand... It just was not worth doing anything after that anymore - and nobody messed with me ever again at school.





As far as the streets go, nowadays I just make myself look real real mean - and I am also a big guy as well, so they really think twice before trying to mess with me. Looks and outward attitude can win the street fight before an actual confrontation.





If they actually came at me, well if they have a knife or gun on them, I am in trouble for certain. Anything less and I might be able to surprise them and maybe escape or get some help. People tend to forget that in a street fight, all bets are off - assume the worse that your opponent has an Uzi on him ready to spray - if you can survive THAT, then more power to you.|||street encounters have never been fights except for one time with a drug-crazed maniac and that was scary. I hit him with groin kicks, elbows on top of elbows, knee strikes. Someone who saw what happened intervened and the guy ran away. He could not do anything to me but I hit him hard and he almost dropped but he was just too loaded with drugs. He wasn%26#039;t drunk. It was some kind of drug, more than likely - crack. That was about 20 years ago





I don%26#039;t have to think about what I%26#039;m going to do, it just happens. This is due to the training I received.





other altercations were over instantly.|||no, one friends been in a couple. she tried to avoid them but they attacked her and she dropped them with one shot everytime.


the other guy i no about had 4 guys attack him at once, and one had a baseball bat. he won but he was hurt real bad after.|||I%26#039;ve been doing Martial Arts since I was six and I%26#039;ve only ever lost two street fights. No one bothers to fight me at school even though I am probably the shortest in my grade.





It does help to be tall, robust or exceptionally nasty looking when it comes to street fighting. People, if they don%26#039;t have guns, will generally back off.





And as for school fights, the only time most people lose is if it involves a mob/gang of people





.|||Nope. But I%26#039;ve only been in 3 so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment