Monday, May 17, 2010

Can I start martial arts again with just fight training?

about three or four years ago, I got my first degree black belt in tae kwon do. I had taken it for three years. I got out of it because my instructor was more of a little kids teacher kind of guy, and it just didn%26#039;t suit me.


Now, I%26#039;m interested in getting back into martial arts, but I don%26#039;t want to have to learn the patterns and other show-type kind of stuff. I%26#039;d rather just be trained in fighting.


Do instructors generally offer this kind of training or do patterns and the other things have to be a part of the experience? And is there a certain martial arts that doesn%26#039;t include patterns and focus more on fight training?|||What you describe as your experience in Tae Kwon Do has been the plague of that community in America for decades now! Of course he%26#039;s interested in teaching little kids, there%26#039;s more money in it! Of course he wants his style to be showey, he can win a kata tournament, put the trophies in his window and get more money from it!





There are still a few good Tae Kwon Do schools out there, but they%26#039;re getting harder to find each year. If you try Shotokan, you%26#039;ll find it has a lot of the same forms (under different names) because they both originally come from Okinawan Karate. (Shorinryu in fact)





If you%26#039;re looking for a style with few, or no forms and is still useful to you, I%26#039;d suggest, depending on what you can find, a freestyle-karate class, a MMA guy, if you%26#039;re in good shape, a Jujitsu or Judo class, an Aikido class, or a traditional Uechi-ryu karate (originally only 3 kata) or other.





I think you%26#039;ll find it easy to learn forms if they%26#039;re incorporated into instruction. An instructor that doesn%26#039;t teach a few different Bunkai (applications) for each movement of a kata, doesn%26#039;t really know the kata anyway. If you find a good dojo, it won%26#039;t matter if it has forms or not, because you%26#039;ll be learning, working out, and enjoying yourself.|||A good instructor would not teach you just how to kick ***. It is supposed to be about not HAVING to kick ***. The mental/spiritual aspect is the main part of martial arts. Didn%26#039;t you learn anything from %26#039;The Karate Kid%26#039;?|||Personally I don%26#039;t care too much for Tae Kwon Do because like you said it%26#039;s definitely more show then it is real life type of stuff. I was in Martial Arts for over 7 years when I was a little younger and I must say it was great for my discipline more then anything. My parents put me in Karate because I am very outspoken and they figured I%26#039;d need something to fall back on when my mouth got me in trouble. I took a Japanese style of Karate called Okinawan Kobayashi Shorin Ryu Karate and although they do take you through the Kata%26#039;s, and the weapon Kata%26#039;s it did focus a lot on the sparring. They also offered different classes (i.e. Kata Class (for your belt rank), Weapons Class, Sparring etc.) You may also be interested in Kick Boxing, or just Boxing because I think with any form of Karate / Martial Arts you%26#039;re going to get the kata%26#039;s and the show type stuff. Good luck!|||Seek true training from Masters from China like Shaolin Kung Fu, Wu Tang Kung Fu, White Lotus fist, and Ninjitsu. You were learning under a kid instructor so that is what you were taught. To be a true martial artist takes discipline, courage and honor. Which only comes from within (fromthe heart). A true master can look at you without saying a word and then he will tell you if he will train you or not. To find a master like this you must go to them. Start in China Town. Stay away from ultimate fighting it is not true matial arts. Another form of martial arts is boxing. This is the the most dangerous martial arts of them all. There%26#039;s not a man alive today that can say they beat a true professional boxer. Bruce Lee fought in his first fight against a boxer and lost and he was using Chinese Kung Fu. Years later he returned to the US after undergoing extensive training with Grandmaster Yip Chung. The style he learned was Wing Tsun Dummy Techniques. I myself am a true martial artist, I own my own Wing Tsun Dummy and practice regularly. A true master is not going to teach you in a classroom, he will teach you in private. This is the path you need to take. This road will not be easy. If you have any questions you can email me. A technique you should seek to learn is called the Dim Mach (Death Touch).|||It%26#039;s about time. You got all that fake crap and useless junk out of your system now. Go find a good class with guys that know how to fight. lean some mixed martial arts . You will not find forms or tag in that stuff. Another soul has seen the light.|||Learn other forms of combat. I realize that you are a black belt in TKD. But TKD falls apart against other forms. Understand I mean no offense. I respect your art and what you have accomplished. Since you have the discipline of TKD. Try something like Jeet Kune DO. or Aikido, perhaps Jujitsu. You%26#039;ll soon discover what you where taught was only the beginning. You may have to search to find an instructor willing to do Private lessons. The world of private lessons is different from Classroom. Classroom won%26#039;t bring up. how to break an elbow., collapse an air way or pop out an eye...If you like I can describe techniques I have learned. you may email if you choose to.

No comments:

Post a Comment