Friday, May 21, 2010

What does everyone think of martial arts?

genuinely, what is your opinion of martial arts in this generation? n i do not mean the kind in movies but actual true martial arts. Kempo, Judo, Aikido, etc. (not counting tai kwon do or mma and the like)





i apologize if i mispelled something.|||I think the result of the training with the exception of Sumo, makes for a beautiful body.


I really do not like fighting in any form, however.


I am a true pacifist,





I hope I have answered your question - I gave my honest opinion.|||I love martial arts. I took Aikido all through high school and have gotten really into Karate in university. It allows me to keep in shape (both body and mind) and it is really relaxing. When I am practicing at our dojo everything else just fades away, which is great since the stress of school work is overwhelming. I really believe that martial arts are on a rebound and that it is because many people are joining because they are serious about learning. I am lucky enough to have experienced different types of martial arts because many of my friends practice Karate, Judo, Kung Fu, Tai Chi and Kendo.|||Babi: you have asked a deep question. I%26#039;ll give the shallow answer for lack of space and time. Martial arts were never a mainstream thing. UFC and other MMA companies are promoting a sport that has mostly nothing to do with martial arts. MMA contains the necessary rules that are absent from the real deal martial arts. Machida is as traditional as they come in MMA, and karate works for him there, but he is the exception. Martial arts as were taught a century ago is as available as ever, and more so, but even most instructors have not had exposure to the more serious aspects of their traditional martial art. In short, it is out there if you can find it. In the early 70s I had to find a shotokan guy and badger him into teaching me. But he was the only one I could find that had the experience to teach me what I knew I needed to learn. Martial art exists if you can find it, but you won%26#039;t find it in today%26#039;s MMA schools or McDojos. J|||It is a fantastic art.. teaches one self discipline and awareness.. keeps one in tune with what is around them and body movements.. one learns how to disarm someone and those who know martial arts can really hurt someone so they do their best to avoid confrontation as much as possible.. I love it.. and it is something those who are interested in should pursue..|||We have a steady stream of people who come and try out Aikido. Some stay with it. Some get frustrated and leave. It%26#039;s fun trying to guess which people will do what.. ..you never can tell. My experience is that the nicest people usually stay.|||Good defense, workout, discipline, peace of mind, and a huge learning experience.|||Great way to stay in shape both physically and mentally. Also a pretty good way to defend yourself. Under the right instructor it can also build character and discipline in children.|||I think. I enjoi the art of fighting without fighting.|||iv done martial arts for a year and a half





it has done me good|||I like martial arts until I was the punching bag|||Martial arts are cool.|||I wish I had the time and the energy to lean any type.|||It%26#039;s great self defense. How about Uncle Killa? What the hell is Uncle Killa?|||It%26#039;s awesome. I love when girls do it too. It%26#039;s so bada$$|||Mr. Han you have ohffended my famiwe and a Sholin temple|||In the right hands it%26#039;s deadly.|||well since I carry the 3rd degree black I respect it,|||its a good work out|||lve it do a woepon tooo (bow)|||nothing of it|||i don%26#039;t see a reason for it.|||I think its cool,i want to learn that...u should learn it...goos for self defense...u never no wat could happen....|||They are pretty much all BS except for Judo and Ju Jitsu|||waste of time|||It%26#039;s Cool If Your Chinese Or Japanese. I Am Not Racist I Am Just Kidding.Ok There You Go Your Answer.








While few would deny the rise of MMA has renewed interest in competitive amateur wrestling, some at the top of the American wrestling food chain are worried the better wrestlers may supplant an Olympic career for one of riches and fame. Notable quote:





%26quot;It%26#039;s almost catastrophic to the development of wrestlers in our country,%26quot; said Brands, who spent several years as national resident coach at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. %26quot;It hurts, it hurts our country.%26quot;





Brands and Gable don%26#039;t have a major problem with the MMA. They just want to see America%26#039;s best wrestlers represent their country before worrying about their wallets.





MMA and UFC combine a variety of fighting techniques, including wrestling, boxing and several martial-art forms. Some of the top attractions in the sport have wrestling backgrounds, including Randy Couture and Brock Lesnar.





%26quot;If there was one sport you could pick ... it would be wrestling,%26quot; said local MMA star Jesse Lennox, a high school wrestler at North Linn. %26quot;It%26#039;s very one-on-one driven.%26quot;





Couture and Lesnar recently fought at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas as part of a $1.118 million show. Lesnar, a 2000 NCAA champion for Minnesota, won and earned $450,000. Couture, an NCAA runner-up in 1991 for Oklahoma State, earned $250,000.





By contrast, 2008 Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo made about $85,000 last year.





%26quot;The MMA offers an opportunity for people to make some money,%26quot; Gable said. %26quot;I%26#039;m not against it. I%26#039;m not a real big fan of trying to knock someone loopy. We just don%26#039;t want to lose top wrestlers to the MMA.%26quot;





That%26#039;s the rub. Although opportunities like the MMA and UFC were not available when Brands%26#039; competitive career ended, he said he was more interested in beating Russians and striving for gold medals than big paychecks.





%26quot;I felt my call was coaching and I%26#039;ve never been driven by money,%26quot; he said.





Lennox said Gable, Brands and USA Wrestling have nothing to worry about. Paydays like the Lesnar-Couture show are not the norm for beginning fighters. It takes years to make serious money in MMA, he said.





%26quot;What little money you would make getting into MMA is not worth a gold medal,%26quot; he said.





To each his own and I don%26#039;t think there%26#039;s any room to fault those wrestlers who would rather chase Olympic glory rather than a UFC belt. One could have an endless debate about which is more meaningful, although most would say Olympic achievements are paramount. Still, it%26#039;s an open question and I%26#039;m not certain there%26#039;s truly a correct answer.





But that%26#039;s neither here nor there. The central issue is whether MMA hurts America%26#039;s Olympic or high-level international wrestling efforts. I can certainly see instances of limited hinderance where some elite wrestlers who can actually contend at the international level are lured away with promises of riches. But those situations are likely to be few and far between. What is more likely to happen is that the overall pool of wrestlers grows creating more fighters with wrestling backgrounds who otherwise would never be able to compete at the international stage (to say nothing of the fact that more wrestlers in the competitive pool increases the chances





Second, the chasing of Olympic glory and MMA success are not mutually exclusive. While both could not likely be sought after simultaneously, efforts in either endeavor can be temporarily post-poned. Fighters with Olympic cailber wrestling can take time away from fighting or wrestlers with MMA dreams can put their new career entries on hiatus. I don%26#039;t think the option of temporarily putting off one career for another is particularly easy, but high level athletes generally have fairly sophisticated support systems that assist in their athletic endeavors. Between sponsors, facilities and management assistance there are ways for the best among the wrestling breed to pursue mutliple aims.





In fairness to Gable and Brands, I do not dispute that MMA will at some point intervene in the aims and career trajectory of elite wreslters that have heretofore carried the torch for American wrestling exceptionalism. But their claims that MMA is somehow catastrophic to wrestling%26#039;s higher end are grossly exaggerated.





The sky is not falling.

1 comment:

  1. visit www.panglimaulung.co.cc
    ancient martial art in malaysia

    - www.panglimaulung.co.cc
    - www.panglimaulung.co.cc
    - www.panglimaulung.co.cc

    pls select english language on that web first

    ReplyDelete